Skip to content

Mixed Income Earner: How to Declare Your Taxes to BIR

Mixed Income Earner: How to Declare Your Taxes to BIR

If you have mixed earnings or a side gig on top of your regular job, you might be wondering how you should file your taxes to

Mixed income earners are simply those who receive income from several sources. This includes your employee salary, business earnings, or gross receipts from being a freelancer.

Under the new tax reform or TRAIN, mixed-income earners are subjected to these taxes:

All Income from Compensation

Your income as a salaried employee will be taxed according to the BIR Income Tax Table.

All Income from Business or Practice of Profession

Your earnings as an entrepreneur or freelancer will be taxed under the tax rate for self-employed and professionals.

This means that if you’re earning less than P250,000 annually, you are exempt from paying percentage tax and income tax. In short, you don’t have to file any tax returns.

On the other hand, if your earnings exceed P250,000, then you must settle your percentage tax and income tax.

Also, when your annual gross sales or receipts do not exceed the VAT threshold of P3 million, you have two options for filing your taxes. You can file for 8% of your gross sales/receipts, or the graduated personal income tax rates of 0% to 35% on net taxable income. The choice is totally up to you, but if you’re wondering which option is better, you can use our calculator.   

Meanwhile, if your annual gross sales or receipts exceed the VAT threshold, you will have to file your taxes using the graduated income tax tables. You don’t have the option to choose the 8% rate.

All these new TRAIN regulations can be overwhelming, especially if you’re running a business while having a regular job. You already have so much on your plate, and taxes can add to your stress and even prevent you from focusing on things that matter most, like brainstorming with your team or spending time with your loved ones.

Luckily, there’s an online tool like Taxumo that can do the hard work for you. Just input your income and your expenses, and it will do the rest. Filing and paying your taxes has never been this hassle-free.

27 thoughts on “Mixed Income Earner: How to Declare Your Taxes to BIR”

  1. I’m both a compensation income earner and a part-time freelance photographer. Hindi pa po ako registered under BIR as a mixed-income earner however meron akong client na nagrerequire ng OR from me. Hindi naman po consistent yung pagkakaroon ko ng client na nagrerequire ng OR throughout an entire year but because of the client na meron ako ngayon, I’m considering to register under BIR for the sole purpose of issuing them an OR after the shoot. I just want to know what the repercussions are when registering under BIR for a case like mine. I’m just worried that I’ll have to continue paying monthly tax if hindi naman po guaranteed yung income ko sa pagfrefreelance ko. There are months where I don’t earn a single peso from freelancing and I wouldn’t want to pay the necessary taxes despite not earning any income. I also don’t earn more than 250,000php in a calendar year.

    Is it possible na icancel ko yung BIR registration upon issuing them the OR and if so, is there a cancellation fee/penalty? If I choose to stick with the BIR registration, what are the monthly/quarterly/annual fees that I need to know about other than the income tax return?

    I hope you could help me out on this. Thank you!

  2. hi po… im currently working in a manufacturing company and working as a financial advisor at the same time. Last year, 2020, i registered as a mixed income earner, got my 2303 and paid my 0605 – annual registration…

    i also file my 1701q quarterly.

    Would like to ask if i still need to file 2551q and how would i file my annual income
    > 2316 – can i still have it filed by my employer (substitute filing)?
    >1701A – deadline April 15, 2021?
    > do i still need to file other BIR docs?

    Thank you for your assistance

  3. If you are a mixed-income earner (employed with business income), should your employer still withhold tax from your compensation income? Will they still file BIR Form 2316 for your compensation (substitute filing)? Or are they supposed to give you the whole compensation without withholding the tax and you will do it on your own?

    1. Hi JL! Taxes withheld by your employer from your compensation is different from the tax you need to pay BIR from your earnings as a business owner. Though when you file your Annual Income Tax you need to indicate how much you earn as an employee and how much you earned as a business owner. It is also important that you have the Form 2316 on-hand when filing your Annual ITR. This may be easily done through Taxumo. If you need assistance with this just send us a message at 🙂

      1. Hello po! Nagtayo po ako ng business while being a regular employee sa isang private company. Ask ko lang po kasi diba need idiclose sa employer yung info na magiging mixed income earner ka, sila an rin po ba bahala sa pagfafile ng taxes?

        1. Hello Nirvana,

          Good day!

          Kayo po ang mag fafile ng taxes ninyo for the business while your employer will manage your taxes as a private employee. Pagdating po ng annual ITR filing, you need to consolidate your tx filings as an employer and business owner by filing the form 1701 and declaring the taxes that your employer paid which will come your form 2316 (which will be provided by your employer). 🙂

          1. Hi Millicent,

            Thanks sa response mo, this is helpfull. Just a question, yung Form 1701, do I have to submit this myself or can my employer do this?


            1. Hi Vince,

              Yung pag paprocess po ng 1701 should be done by the taxpayer po. The employer should issue a form 2316 po to help the taxpayer consolidate their filings as a professional/freelancer and as an employed individual. 🙂

              1. Hello Rowena,

                The income declared on BIR Form 2316 is based on taxable compensation, not gross compensation. Taxable compensation refers to the amount of an individual’s earnings after deducting allowable deductions and exemptions, resulting in the amount considered taxable for tax purposes. Therefore, the value declared on BIR Form 2316 reflects an individual’s taxable compensation, which represents their actual earnings subject to taxation.

          2. papano po kung as a freelancer for 2 years nagkaron po ako ng work sa corporate pero after 6 months naisipan ko pong magresign sa corporate? kailangan ko po bang pumunta sa BIR para ireport na hindi ako nakapagfile ng mixed income for 6 months?

            1. Hello Ronald,

              Good day!

              If you are a mixed income earner for the year 2023, kailangan nyo po tapusin yung pag filings ninyo for year 2023 as a mixed income earner. By 2024, dun palang po kayo pwede mag file as a Sefl-Employed then you just need to make your first filing under Self-Employed category instead na mixed income earner and you’re all good na po. No need na po pumunta sa BIR to manually change your status from Mixed Income Earner to Self-Employed Professional. 🙂

      2. Hello!

        Just wanted to clarify po for mixed income earner:
        Currently employed ako sa isang BPO company with an income of 300k annually and running an online business as a side hustle na nageearn ng less than 250k annually. Planning to register my online shop to BIR.

        Regarding sa tax, compiled ba ung tax ko as an employee + ung earnings sa shop na idedeclare sa BIR? Or magkaiba po ung tax na kinakaltas na ni employer sa salary, and ung tax para sa shop? Meaning pag nagregister ng business, ang possible lang na matatax is ung sa shop?

        1. Hello Sarah,

          As a mixed income earner, yung taxes po ng business ninyo will be separate than your employee taxes. You will only need to consoldiate your employee taxes to your business taxes on the annual income tax filing. Bale need ninyo to incorporate your form 2316 which will be issued by your employer to your form 1701 which is the form for your annual ITR as a mixed income earner. 🙂

      3. Hello. I’m currently employed (tax exempt) and would like to register my online shop to BIR. What forms should I accomplish to update my status from being employed to being a mixed income earner?

      4. Hello. I need enlightenment regarding this matter. I hope you could help me po.
        I am a mixed income earner (full-time teacher in a public school and part-time teacher in a private school). This is my first time to file a BIR 1701 (Late na kasi kahapon lang ako nagkaroon ng time to go to BIR).

        My taxable compensation income from my full-time job: 285k (this was already filed by our staff po sa school)
        My taxable compensation income from my part-time job: 0.00 (this was not filed yet, according po sa accountant ng private school, I will be the one to file it personally sa BIR.)

        Here’s my question:
        1. Should I still need to file my ITR from my part-time job kasi below 250k naman yung taxable compensation income ko?
        2. If yes is the answer to Question #1, what form should I file po? BIR 1701 or 1701A?

        Thank you so much. This is my first time. Wala pa po talaga ako knowledge regarding this.

        1. Hi M! Okay, to answer your questions muna:

          1. Yes, you should because it is still revenue that you have received. You should declare it parin. for your stint at the private school, did they give you a form 2307 (Certificate of creditable tax withheld)?

          2. Since you are filing late, BIR 1701 na po ang gagamitin.

          Lastly, I recommend you try out Taxumo and join our onboarding session. Dito ka na magfile through us. You will be guided by our CSRs. You’ll need to file your income taxes quarterly kasi. You can book an Taxumo Tutorial session here: FREE naman yung session. 🙂

      5. Hi, what if for this year, I want to register as mixed income earner. However, say for 2025, I decide not to pursue my side hustle or business anymore, how do I change my status to purely compensation income earner? Thank you.

        1. Hi Kat! You’ll need to close your business. You’ll need to go to the government offices that you went to when you applied and close your business.

      6. Hello,

        I would like to ask po sana some concerns… I was previously a purely self-employed/practicing profession for couple of years (i.e. always opted for an 8% IT) rate but was recently hired as a governement employeelast Feb. 2024. I believe I will be considered as a mixed income earner unless I will close my BIR-2303 (COR). Likewise, I was able to file an affidavit Annex B-1 (with several income payors) last Jan. 2024.

        1. Do I have to file-update my RDO regarding change of status from previously self-employed taxpayer to mixed income earner at present? Likewise, do I have to inform my employer that I have a freelance practice after office hours?

        2. I just recently filed my 2024 Q1 ITR and opted for a mixed income-8% IT Rate which incurred a tax due for bank payment. Only after filing online did I get to check that I have a zero tax due should have I opted for a mixed income-graduated IT Rate instead. Can I still ammend my filing to opt for a the mixed income-graduated IT Rate for this quarter?

        3. If the answer to #2 is yes, should I also ammend my SAWT DAT File online submission recently filed? Can this ammendment be done online or personally to RDO branch?

        Thank you po.

        1. Hello JAFR,

          To answer your questions:

          1. No need to go to your RDO to let them know that you are already a mixed income earner. Your Q1 filing will be enough to notify this about this changes.

          2. Regretfully, we can no longer change our tax rate since we can only use one tax rate per year. Since you already filed your Q1 under the 8% rate, you have to use the 8% for the whole tax year of 2024.

          Hope this clarifies. 🙂

      7. Hi,

        I would like to confirm this matter of mine.

        I’m a mixed earner, currently employed and also running a small online business. My question is, am I still eligible for the 250k deduction on my income tax for my business, or can I no longer avail it since my employer has already utilized it for my compensation?

        By the way, I registered as non-VAT and opted for itemized deductions.

        Thank you

        1. Hello Paz,

          Good day!

          The annual 250k income exemption is no longer applicable in your online business because this will be applied to your employer for your employee’s compensation taxes. 🙂

      8. Hi,

        Im currently working sa bpo po and may side hustle ako na online shop, pag mag ffile po ba ako ng 1701q allowable po ba ung ₱250,000 na deductions?

        1. Hello RR,

          You will be considered as Mixed Income Earner po and you need to get registered po muna sa BIR as a Freelancer/Mixed Income Earner before you can file your 1701Q form. The 250k exemption however, will no longer apply sa inyo since your employer is utilizing this already for your compensation taxes. 🙂

      Leave a Reply

      Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *